10/27/12

Fireplace Mantle


This summer I re-did our fireplace mantle!  It was super easy too!
I'm not sure why, but the builders of this home never put in a for-real mantle.  Instead it was just a slab of sheet rock, textured and painted just like all the other walls.  Soooo boring!

 
{yawn}
So I went to Home Depot and purchased two trim pieces.  One is a header piece like you would put above a door.  And the other is a much thinner piece.  I didn't put anything in the middle, it's just the bare wall.  I measured and cut at a 45 degree angle with a chop saw, and nailed them in place with a nail gun.
After filling in holes and gaps, I painted the trim pieces and the wall in the middle with the same paint I have on my trim.  I was hoping to fool the eye and make it look like one giant piece.
 It's certainly not perfect, but I like how it turned out :)




1 comment:

  1. I love it! It now looks the part. Clever of you to use two pieces of trim instead of replacing the whole mantle. I also like the paint color you chose for this room. It looks very calming and goes well with your grey couches.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...