7/5/11

Framed Star


I needed something for my door for the 4th of July.  So I made this framed star.  It was pretty easy!

First, I bought some 2.5" wide mdf and cut it into equal lengths with 45 degree angles.  The star used to be a dark red, but I spray painted it silver.

Then, I glued and nailed the corners of the frame.  I was trying to get around having to use the nail gun so I stapled the back side of the joints and used wood glue, but in the end had to use the nail gun to keep the joints together.


After nailing it together, I puttied the joints and sanded them once it was dry.


 I primed it with KILZ and used this to spray paint it:


I threaded the ribbon through a loop on the back of the star and stapled it to the back of the frame.  I normally don't think to use ivory & silver & gold together, but they all seemed to go well. 


I hung it on my door and at first thought it was way too big for the space.  BUT then it grew on me and I really love it there now!

 

Aren't we patriotic!

 

2 comments:

  1. Being from Texas, I have plenty of stars a lot like that one! I think I'll try one on the front door! I love all of your painting projects too! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah. I like that. Not too cutesy. Out of the ordinary and that is always a good thing. Thanks so much for linking it up to Motivated Monday.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...